Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Cook: Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Welcome to my third installment of Sunday Cook - the day that I get to spend some extra time in the kitchen - doing something fun - not just meal preparation and dishes! 

Today, as promised, is the day for Cream Cheese Pound Cake. 

This recipe was posted by our friend Renee from Montgomery Alabama on her facebook. Derek was on the computer at the time and read it out to me - I quickly took over the computer so that I could pin it for very future reference. I haven't made pound cake in FOREVER, surprisingly, because I LOVE it!

Now having sampled a few pieces I can say it is very very good. 

So - here we go!

Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Southern Living November 2001 
Yields: 1 10" cake
300 F

1 1/2 cups butter, softened at room temperature
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract


Beat butter and cream cheese together at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy (do not overbeat). Use a very LARGE bowl - my largest was almost not large enough as you will see.




gradually add sugar, beating well (I know - a LOT of sugar - right?)


add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until combined. It is a good idea to crack the eggs into a bowl first...




Sift 3 cups of flour with the salt. Since I couldn't find my sifter I had to be creative!


Gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.




Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch bundt pan. Boy it's been a long time since this bundt pan has seen any action.


Smooth the top of the cake with a spatula to even it out.


Bake at 300F for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes; removed from pan and let cool completely on wire rack. 


Nice - it came out clean!


A LOT of cake for the 3 of us - I'll probably freeze half.


My taste tester was ready and willing!


YES! it is as good as it looks!


It is a very dense and rich cake - a little will do ya!

I do have a confession to make; I made the cake on Saturday instead of Sunday this week. With the long weekend this week I KNEW that we would be busy on Sunday afternoon with more cleaning and racking then usual. 

It ended up going downhill pretty quick however. Since I was busy making the cake - Cassia didn't go down for her map until late in the afternoon - Derek too! I was a bit to geared up to nap so I was still working away in the kitchen when we got a call from the camp host that they were down to 1 container of fire wood! yikes! 

In the end nobody really napped long, dinner was a pretty rushed affair - boy was I glad that I had put a roast in the crook pot that morning, and I got off to work a little later then I would have liked.

Thankfully the night went well - the third busy night in a row.

I'm a bit behind AGAIN and so I am off to get dinner done and be off again. The weather has turned a bit grey and cool - nice that the campers had a warm and sunny day yesterday.

I hope that all of our Canadian followers are having a nice long weekend and the same for next weekend for our American followers.

Next week on Sunday Cook: Energy bars (which we REALLY need here at the park)

Cheers,

Teresa

Today's Interesting Link: I'm thinking that on Sunday Cook posts it only makes sense to link one of my go to food or cooking blogs. One that I found a little while ago is Lisa Leake's blog about cutting out processed food 100 Days of Real Food. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...